Adams Homestead & Nature Preserve
272 Westshore Dr
North Sioux City
Combs School – Homer, NE
Built in 1857, the frame schoolhouse in the background is part of Nebraska’s pioneer heritage – the oldest school building in Dakota County and one of the oldest in Nebraska. It is located on the O’Connor House site. Each May, students and teachers from area schools hold a regular day of school, using a curriculum of the late 1800s. They come dressed, as they would have years ago, bringing their noon lunch in a dinner bucket.
1 mile east of Hwy. 77 on gravel road.
Emmanuel Lutheran Church
Emmanuel Lutheran Church is one of the oldest churches in Dakota County. Built in 1860, this is the first Lutheran church in the Nebraska Territory. The Vespers Service is held annually in August.
1500 Hickory Street
Dakota City, NE
Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center/Betty Strong Encounter Center
The center focuses on a day in the life of the explorers as they traveled through what is now the Sioux City area. History comes to life in exhibits that use dozens of interactive devices. A bookstore offers books and gifts for all ages. The grounds feature a 30 x 50 foot U.S. flag, a 14 foot sculpture of Lewis, Clark and their dog, Seaman.
Summer hours: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily.
Winter hours: Tues. – Sat.: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Sunday – Closed; Monday – Free Admission.
900 Larsen Park Road
Sioux City, IA 51103
Missouri National Recreational River Resource and Education Center
“Where People and Nature Meet” describes the beauty and solitude of this conference center. Along with meeting rooms, this facility offers a terrific visitor center and hands-on interpretive center focusing on the natural cultural history of the Missouri River.
Located 1 mile east of Homer, the 60 foot by 150 foot building houses an outstanding collection of early machinery. The collection is open by appointment.
Homer, NE 68030
O’Connor House – Homer, NE
The O’Connor House is a 14 room mansion located 1 mile east of Homer. Constructed over a 10 year period from 1865-1875, the mansion was literally built on a rock and was home to Captain Cornelius O’Connor, his wife and 10 children. Stone slabs were shaved and fitted together to form the foundation and then topped with brick. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is run by the Dakota County Historical Society. The first two weekends in November, the society hosts an open house and area businesses decorate the house for Christmas.
1 mile east of Hwy. 77 on Blyburg Road, Homer
Palmer’s Olde Tyme Candy Shoppe
Candy museum and store featuring memorabilia and history of the family-owned business best know for its Twin Bing Candy Bar.
405 Wesley Parkway
Sergeant Floyd River Museum
Board of the M.V. Sergeant Floyd and begin a journey into the region’s maritime history. Built in 1932 as an inspection boat by the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers, the Sergeant Floyd River Museum & Welcome Center chronicles the Missouri River’s development as a major shipping route and the key to Sioux City’s success in the early years of its founding. Discover exhibitions of the Lewis & Clark Expedition, the fur trade, Sioux City’s evolution as a transportation hub and those rivercraft which still ply the waters of the Missouri River. An official Iowa and Nebraska Center, the center also provides travel planning for the tri-state region. The location provides views of the Missouri, picnic sites and access to the riverfront trail systems. The Galley Gift Shop features Iowa and Nebraska souvenirs.
Hours: Daily 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.; Closed: Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.
1000 Larson Park Road
Sioux City Public Museum
The completion of the new $12.5 million museum facility represents an extensive public/private partnership that began in 2005. The City of Sioux City purchased the former department store building for use as a new museum and appropriated $1.5 million for the project. The new museum occupies the first floor of the building – approximately 55,000 square feet of floor space, with about 10,000 square feet of two-story space as an atrium in the southwest corner of the building. Plans call for space for a large temporary gallery, theatre, archives/research rooms, gift shop and offices. Among the possible permanent exhibits are: Native American Gallery, Stockyards Exhibit, Disaster and Recovery Exhibit, Siouxland Attic, Meatpacking Exhibit, Sports in Siouxland Exhibit and Agriculture/Industry Exhibit.
Free admission – Hours: Tues – Sat – 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 a.m. and Sunday – 1 – 5 p.m.
607 4th Street
Siouxland Historical Railroad Museum
This museum is located at the historic Milwaukee Railroad roundhouse site. It details the history of the area’s over 130-year-old railroad industry through the use of photographs, artifacts and a large HO-scale model. Its gift shop has a great deal of railroad merchandise available for purchase.
Winter hours (begin in November): 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.; Saturdays (weather permitting)
Summer hours (Memorial Day – Labor Day): 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.; Friday & Saturday: Noon – 4:00 p.m.; Sunday Fall and Spring Hours (begin March and Labor Day): 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Saturdays
3400 Sioux River Road, Iowa Hwy. 12 North
Sioux City, Iowa
The 33 foot stainless steel statue of Jesus is the centerpiece of the Outdoor Cathedral. The 53 acres offer a beautiful setting for the 30 foot stainless steel statue of Mary, the Trinity gardens and Circle of Life memorial to the Unborn. The St. Joseph Center Museum features a life-size wood carving of the Last Supper. Open 7 days a week: 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. April through September; 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. October through March.
2511 33rd Street